Music and Culture Major
The Music and Culture major offers an approach predominantly scholarly and critical to music as culture from the perspective of research, criticism, and interpretation, with an emphasis on historical and ethnographic approaches. It is oriented primarily toward understanding music as a culturally expressive form. Courses in music and/or dance performance are required but are positioned more broadly within the major as a means to explore interrelationships between music and other forms of performance.
All majors must enroll in at least one music ensemble each quarter. However, students may enroll in DNCE 067A through DNCE 075B instead of, or in addition to, any of the music ensemble courses.
In addition, the major requirements for the B.A. degree in Music and Culture are as follows:
- Lower-division requirements (17–19 units)
- MUS 030A, MUS 030B, MUS 030C
- MUS 031
- ANTH 001, SOC 001, DNCE 005, or DNCE 007
- Upper-division requirements (59 units)
- Music courses (39–49 units)
- Western Music History: MUS 112A, MUS 112B, MUS 112C, MUS 114, MUS 116, MUS 136, MUS 191 (E-Z)
- Ethnomusicology: MUS 113, MUS 117, MUS 118, MUS 119, MUS 120, MUS 122, MUS 123, MUS 124/AST 124, MUS 126/ANTH 177/WMST 126, MUS 127/ANTH 176/AST 127/DNCE 127/ETST 172, MUS 128/ANTH 128/AST 128/DNCE 128/THEA 176, MUS 140/HISA 139, MUS 153
- Individual Study: MUS 190, MUS 194, MUS 195, MUS 199H
- Other upper-division courses (12–24 units)
- Dance History (4–8 units): DNCE 130/ANTH 130, DNCE 141, DNCE 142, DNCE 171 (E-Z), DNCE 172 (E-Z), DNCE 173 (E-Z)
- Anthropology or Sociology (4–8 units)
- English or Film and Visual Culture (4–8 units)
- Other courses in the Social Sciences, Humanities, or Arts could count towards these units if the students petitions and an advisor’s permission is granted.
Student Advising Forms
2012-2013 Things to Remember
2012-2013 Breadth Requirements
2012-2013 Music&Culture Undergraduate Flyer
2012-2013 Music&Culture Major Requirements Form
2012-2013 Music Ensembles
2012-2013 Music&Culture Undergraduate Requirements
2012-2013 Music Private Lesson Scholarship Application
2012-2013 Music What can I do with this degree
For more information, contact:
Performing Arts Academic Advisor
Creative Writing, Dance, Music, and Theatre
M-Th 9-11am or 1-3pm
No advising on Fridays.