The minor in music at UCR is designed for students who wish to continue their musical studies while pursuing another major. Within the required 24 upper-division units, the minor provides basic skills in music theory and first-level studies in music history and literature while still offering modest flexibility to pursue individual interests.
- Lower-division preparation: (16 units)
- MUS 001 or equivalent
- MUS 030A, MUS 030B, MUS 030C
- Upper-division requirements (24 units)
- Eight (8) units from MUS 112A, MUS 112B, MUS 112C
- Four (4) units from MUS 122-129
- Eight (8) units selected from MUS 122-129, MUS 130A, MUS 130B, MUS 133-139, MUS 191 (E-Z)
- Four (4) additional units in ensemble performance
As a freshman or sophomore, the student should complete MUS 030A, MUS 030B, MUS 030C (Harmony). This is a prerequisite for all later studies in the minor. Harmony has a prerequisite of MUS 001 (Introduction to Basic Musical Concepts) or the equivalent.
Two required courses from MUS 112A, MUS 112B, MUS 112C should be completed following MUS 030A, MUS 030B, MUS 030C and not later than the junior year.
See Minors under the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences in the Colleges and Programs section of this catalog for additional information on minors.